ABOUT LUCIAN BLAGA UNIVERSITY OF SIBIU
To open a school is not a minor event, because education means enlightenment. It means approaching new horizons and shaping young destinies. It means changing the future by molding the minds of young people. But to have had a school opened already in 1380 is a landmark in the history of a city. And it was the city of Sibiu which saw the opening of this school.
The truth is that the citadel of Sibiu was permanently motivated by the desire to see its residents improve their knowledge, as knowledge has always meant power. Since the Church has constantly offered the best conditions for study, gathering under its protective wings the minds most avid for knowledge, it was a Theological-Pedagogical School which in 1786 marked the beginning of Higher Education in Sibiu. In 1850, the School changed its profile and became a Theological-Pedagogical Institute for Higher Education, which initially offered two-year courses, and starting with 1861, three-year courses; simultaneously, a Pedagogical section was founded, with a four-year program of studies.
In inaugurate 1844 was inaugurated the Academy of Law in Sibiu.For twenty years the courses were taught in German, but the students enrolled were not all Germans necessarily. After 1865, as a result of the policy of forced assimilation led by the Austro-Hungarian authorities, the teaching of the Hungarian language was imposed in all schools. The Academy of Law in Sibiu was no exception. Consequently, starting with 1865, the courses were taught in Hungarian until 1887, when the Academy was forcibly disbanded by the same Austro-Hungarian authorities.
Still, a large number of the 1,387 students who graduated from this Academy of Law would become spokesmen for the Romanian cultural movement in Transylvania. Many of them would get involved in organizing the Great Unification of Romania, which, though completed in Alba-Iulia, was prepared here, in Sibiu, in the very building which shelters today the Rectorate.
During the hard years of WWII, Sibiu witnessed and encouraged the ebullience of higher education: University of Cluj was forced to find a shelter in Hermannstadt.
In 1945 the University of Cluj would return home, but it would leave its spirit behind. The sidewalks would continue to remember the steps of the students who, forgetting themselves, would start reciting poems in the streets. The trees would continue to remember the talks of the medicine students who sought shelter from the sun under their lofty boughs. The air would continue to remember the thoughts it used to hear. Yet another quarter of a century would pass by until Sibiu would see its dream come true. It was only in 1969 that the School of History was founded as a branch of the University of Cluj. Two years later, it was turned into the School of Philology and History, whose Department of Philology included German, English and Romanian sections. In the same year, the School of Public Administration - with a program of studies not found elsewhere in Romania - came into existence. The following year meant a new School, the School of Wood-Processing, functioning as a branch of the University of Brasov.
The impetuous evolution of the higher education system in Sibiu entailed the foundation of the autonomous Institute of Higher Education in 1976. The Institute included the following Schools: Philology and History, Public Administration, and Mechanical Engineering. But the times were once more hostile to us. Despite a prodigious academic performance of national and international repute, the dictatorial regime of the 80s, whose anti-cultural and anti-academic policy was set against any intellectual life, gradually suppressed the activity of the Schools of Philology, History and Law, until they ceased to exist altogether. Ironically, the School of Law would end its existence precisely 100 years after its former disbandment. Only the School of Mechanical Engineering continued in the form of an Institute of Subengineers, part of the Polytechnic School of Cluj-Napoca. Out of the total number of students, seventy-five per cent were trained as mechanical engineers.
This marked another end in a long series of failures. Futility reigned supreme once more, and the strivings of all those who had cherished the dream of seeing Sibiu a powerful center of intellectual life, amounted to nothing. But if a man can be destroyed, he cannot be defeated; similarly an Institute of Higher Education can be disbanded, yet its spirit cannot be broken. The spirit of higher education continued to live not only in the buildings which had been closed but also in the hearts of all those who see the progress of a nation in education. The spirit waited patiently for better times, for times when education would no longer be a crime, an offense against the regime. And these times finally came with a bang: the Revolution of December 1989 swept away all the lies and the ascientific programsa, the isolation of the country and the darkness which had grown thicker and thicker. A cruel and unjust history was eventually turning its face towards us, heralding better days. And shortly after the Revolution - which claimed the second greatest number of martyrs in Sibiu - the Ministry of Education did justice to the long-victimized city. In recognition of Sibiuas certain potential as an academic center, the Ministry decreed, on March, 5, 1990, the founding of a University encompassing five Schools: Letters, History and Law, Medicine, Food and Textile-Processing Technology, Engineering, and Sciences. On 12 May 1995, the University of Sibiu was granted the name of the distinguished Romanian writer and philosopher, Lucian Blaga.
It was a new beginning and this time nothing could prevent the unfettering of the resources which had lain dormant. Nothing could prevent the University of Sibiu from becoming what it deserved to be: a center of academic excellence and social renewal.
LBUS has established academic links and partnership agreements with eighty-five universities in thirty-five countries. A special place is held by the partnerships drawn with American, German, French and English universities, which materialized in student exchange programmes, fact-finding data trips for academics as well as a precious cooperation which has kept the University tuned in to what happens in the world. Worth mentioning are also the new ties with Chinese, Russian, Italian, Greek and Polish Universities.
In recognition of its steady development towards academic excellence and social renewal, LBUS was granted full membership in various prestigious international academic organizations: The International Center of TAbingen, the International Association of European Universities, and the Alliance of Universities for Democracy.
In cooperation with its partners abroad, LBUS has established a number of organizations for students. Among them, CAS and UBA hold a special place.
"Simion Barnutiu" Faculty of Law
Law, Public Administration, Community Police.
"Hermann Oberth" Faculty of Engineering
Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mines, Oil and Gases, Engineering and Management, Computers and Information Technology, Electronic Engineering, Environment Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Applied Science and Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electronic Engineering and Telecomunication.
"Nicolae Lupu" Faculty of History and Patrimony
History, Preservation and Restauration, Fashion Design.
Faculty of Journalism
Journalism, Communication and Public Relations, Philosophy.
Faculty of Letters and Arts
Romanian Language and Literature, Applied Modern Languages, Sciences of Commnunication, Theatre.
"Victor Papilian" Faculty of Medicine
Medicine, Dental Medicine, Health Care, Dental Tehnique, Dental Care
Faculty of Sciences
Mathematics, Informatics, Physics, Ecology and Environment Protection, Biology, Physical Education and Sports, Statisctics, Informatics and Economic Cybernetics.
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Food Industry and Environmental Protection
Faculty of Economics
Faculty of Political Sciences, International Relations and Security Studies
Political Sciences, International Relations and European Studies, Security Studies.
"Andrei Saguna" Faculty of Theology
he measures caused by the process launched in Bologna, regarding the forming of the European Space of Higher Education impose Romania structural in depth changes that are supposed to harmonize our higher education system with the European one.
As a result of the Communication aLetas make Lifelong Learning become a reality in the European Space of Higher Educationa Lifelong Learning has become the main directory of the development of the education politics and professional training. Lifelong Learning embraces different forms and evolves separately from the traditional education and training, causing the growth of investments in persons and knowledge, the promotion of acquisition of some certificates and the extension of opportunities towards new forms of learning.
The appliance of the Lifelong Learning concept brings benefits to society and persons as a result of the growth of their competitive ability, of the personal development and the growth of the employment potential, the means being to assure the access of the population of all ages at different forms of education.
Every state must adopt gradually the European Transferable Credit System (ECTS) which will facilitate the studentas mobility and the development of the international curriculum.
The Department is actively involved in organizing and coordinating activities of academic international cooperation at LBUS.
University Department of Distance Learning
Address: 10, Victoriei Bd, Sibiu, 550024, RomAnia
Tel: +40-(269) 21.79.89 Fax: +40-(269) 21.78.87
General Administrative Deparment
Address: 10, Victoriei Bd, Sibiu, 550024, RomAnia
Tel: +40-(269) 21.79.89 Fax: +40-(269) 21.78.87
Daniela PREDA - departament coordination & international programs
Tel: +40-(269) 21.60.62 int 129
Fax: +40-(269) 21.05.12